Friday, February 3, 2012

Recipe Friday - Cornbread

We had this Monday night with our Chicken Chili and it turned out really well. Since one of my goals this year is to cut out a lot of the processed and pre-packaged foods we use, i had to come up with a cornbread recipe. I sinned a little and didn't use the cast iron skillet (I know, the horrors!) but it still turned out well!

Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal (don't forget to store this in the fridge so it doesn't go bad)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 can corn
Milk
4 tbsp butter melted
1 egg

Whisk dry ingredients together, set aside. Drain corn and add to liquid measure, fill with milk to 1 1/4 cup. Using immersion blender (this has become a kitchen must have), blend milk and corn leaving some whole kernels. Add with butter and egg to dry ingredients, stirring to combine.

Pour into greased 8 X 8 Pyrex dish (or greased preheated cast iron skillet) and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Serve warm with lots of butter!

1 comment:

Grandee said...

The cornbread looks great and I'm sure it taste good too, but I'm sure it would have tasted a better in the cast iron skillet! LOL
I think I'm going to try some of you dinner suggestions also.
Lover to all kisses to the girls
Geandee