Thursday, October 13, 2011

Southern Women

I ran across this article the other day and it got me thinking. It touches on a lot of things that I find myself doing (or getting frustrated because I can't do) and then wondering why it's so important to me in the first place.

The article is true, us southern women do have a lot of expectations and rules that we follow, not because we have to but because it's who we are and where we're from. There is something to be said for traditional southern hospitality and values. It means something to someone when you take the time to hand write a note (not just sign a card or shoot and email), bake or cook a meal (not pick it up at the store) or really make an effort to look your best (it really does make you feel better). Now most people will say that it's the thought that counts and that may be true in most cases; however actions always tell the truest story. That little extra effort so that others truly see that you care, I believe it is part of the southern DNA.

So I will continue to write thank you notes, bake cookies, take meals when people need comfort and open my home (no matter what it looks like) because making the effort is part of what makes me a Southern Woman.

No comments: