Friday, August 19, 2011

Recipe Friday - Tomato Sauce

As promised here is how I make and can my tomato sauce.

Gather all the tomatoes you have, these are a combination from my garden and the CSA. (I saved the cherry tomatoes for salads)

Cut into quarters (or more), removing the hard center if necessary.





Place into a large stockpot.





Using a hand blender, roughly puree just to release some liquid to start the cooking. If you don't have a hand blender, puree using either your blender or food processor.







Allow to simmer over medium low heat until the tomatoes begin to break down, about an hour. Puree well and continue to cook over low to medium low heat until the sauce is at your desired consistency.





As the day wore on I forgot to continue taking pictures of the canning process. But I fill my quart jars and process at 10 psi for 10 minutes in my pressure canner. I use a pressure canner to avoid adding an acid to my sauce, I don't think it tastes right with lemon juice or vinegar added.






Here's the final result.










No comments: