Friday, October 29, 2010

Apples

From two and a half bushels of apples, mostly Granny Smith, I was able make 25 quarts of applesauce, 5 quarts of apple pie filling and 5 quarts of apple butter. We should be able to make it until next fall now. I also had enough apples left over to make an apple pie and we've been eating apples with lunch for a couple weeks also.


For the applesauce I just peeled, cored and sliced the apples, cooked them down with a tiny bit of water and lemon juice then pureed them before canning.
The apple pie filling recipe was found at www.tastykitchen.com and the apple butter was made from 6 quarts of applesauce. I used splenda instead of sugar and cooked it down in the crock pot before canning.
I'm still working on the perfect apple pie recipe so as soon as I get it right I'll be sure to share.


No comments: